Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Chasm - REVIEW

Randy Alcorn's The Chasm reminds me of Pilgrim's Progress and Michael Phillips's The Garden at the Edge of Beyond (not that I am putting those two books as equals). It was beautiful, terrifying, sobering, and excellently written. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

One thing that stuck out to me was when the narrator meets the Woodsman (Jesus) near the Chasm. He says, "Throughout my education and my upbringing, the retaining walls of my mind had been carefully constructed to deny the supernatural, explain away the miraculous. Now they fell to the ground like flimsy shacks in a hurricane." (page 91)

That's a good picture of how C.S. Lewis and others viewed Christianity before their conversions. And I have retaining walls of my own to work through. The story is a modern twist on Pilgrim's Progress and applicable to any reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment