Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Inspiring Introduction and Tribute to Ancient Christianity

I've always felt that something was lacking in modern "mega-church" Christianity. The search for my spiritual roots, so to speak, led me to the Orthodox Church. I read whatever I can get my hands on related to the ancient church, church history, etc. Finding Our Way Again was a pleasure to read and I learned so much.

It's the first in a series called "The Ancient Practices" which says, "There is a hunger in every human heart for connection, primitive and raw, to God. To satisfy it, many are beginning to explore traditional spiritual disciplines used for centuries."

"To frankly, directly speak the painful truth about my own darkness in the presence of God and in the presence of my peers is a powerful thing, a transforming thing."

My favorite part of this book was on the contemplative and communal practices. I didn't care so much for all the extra stuff....I think the content of the book could have been written a little tighter and in maybe a third less length. I just found myself skipping through to get the "points."

All in all though, a good book. Four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment